News

Penelope Cruz gives birth to baby girl

Penelope Cruz gives birth to baby girl

Penelope Cruz gave birth to her second child with husband Javier Bardem. Photo: WENN

MADRID (Reuters) – Oscar-winning Spanish actress Penelope Cruz gave birth to her second child with husband Javier Bardem, a girl, on Monday in a Madrid hospital, a source familiar with the situation said.

Spanish media reported the birth earlier on Tuesday, citing a hospital representative, though Madrid’s Clinica Ruber declined to confirm the news and representatives for Cruz and Bardem could not be reached for comment.

Cruz, 39, was still in hospital on Tuesday, the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

She married fellow Oscar winner Bardem in 2010 and the couple had their first child, a boy named Leo, in Los Angeles two and half years ago.

Cruz and Bardem are the only Spanish actors to have won academy awards, both for supporting roles. They first met on the set of a Spanish film in 1992 but got together after starring in Woody Allen’s 2008 comedy “Vicky Cristina Barcelona”.

They are due to appear together in supporting roles in “The Counselor”, a film directed by Ridley Scott, scheduled for release later this year.

Recent Headlines

in National

Making headlines this week

surf

A look at the week's biggest newsmakers and the stories you won't soon forget.

in Local

O’Malley has another New Hampshire trip planned.

WordPress-FeatureImage-08-29-14

As he continues to mull over a possible bid for President in 2016, Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley has already scheduled his third trip to the Granite state for Sept. 26th.

in National

WATCH: The history of Labor Day

21-overlay4

While you take your three day weekend, remember those who struggled to get Friday and Saturday off.

in Trending, Viral Videos

TODAY’S MUST SEE: Johnny JamBoogie

18-overlay8

If football doesn't workout, "Johnny Football" always has this to fall back on.

in National, World

Separatists say will allow ‘trapped’ Ukrainian forces to withdraw

A flag of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic is seen at the top of damaged war memorial at Savur-Mohyla, a hill east of the city of Donetsk, August 28, 2014.

Pro-Moscow rebels fighting in Ukraine said they would open up a 'humanitarian corridor' to allow the withdrawal of Ukrainian troops they have encircled.