News

Ex-NFL player Hernandez indicted in June murder

Ex-NFL player Hernandez indicted in June murder

Former NFL player Aaron Hernandez was indicted on first-degree murder. Photo: Reuters

BOSTON (Reuters) – Former National Football League player Aaron Hernandez was indicted on first-degree murder by a grand jury in Massachusetts for the killing of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd, a court official said on Thursday.

Hernandez, a former New England Patriots tight end, is scheduled to appear in a Massachusetts court on Thursday for a hearing related to the June shooting of Lloyd, whose bullet-riddled body was found in an industrial area near Hernandez’s home in North Attleborough, Massachusetts.

An official with the Bristol County Superior Court in Fall River, Massachusetts, who declined to give her name citing court policy, said Hernandez had been indicted. A spokesman for Bristol Country District Attorney Sam Sutter declined to comment.

Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to six criminal counts, including murder and weapons charges tied to Lloyd’s death. A lawyer for Hernandez has called the prosecution’s case circumstantial.

Hernandez is due to appear at Attleboro District Court on Thursday at 2 p.m. EDT (1800 GMT).

Hernandez was cut from the Patriots on June 26, shortly after police arrested him for purportedly orchestrating the execution-style murder.

Lloyd, 27, had been dating the sister of Hernandez’s fiancĂ©e. Prosecutors said Hernandez soured on him a few nights before the body was found, and that the two had argued after Lloyd socialized at a nightclub with people Hernandez disliked.

Two other men have been arrested in connection with the case: Ernest Wallace, who turned himself in to police in Florida and has been accused of being an “accessory after the fact,” and Carlos Ortiz, arrested in Connecticut on charges of being a fugitive from justice.

Hernandez, 23, had been a rising star in the NFL who signed a $41 million contract with one of the league’s top franchises before his arrest.

Earlier this month, the TMZ website published an image of what it said was a letter Hernandez wrote to a fan from jail saying he believed God was testing him, and that eventually he would be found not guilty of murder.

Recent Headlines

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Local

Court documents: Suspect destroyed kidnap evidence.

WordPress-FeatureImage-07-28-14a

Courts documents say 34-year-old Nathaniel Kibby has been charged with kidnapping, imprisoning and sexually assaulting a teenage girl over nine months ordered his captive to lie to police and help him destroy evidence.

in National, World

From joy to outrage, Cuba-Americans greet new U.S. policy

obama

The U.S. will restore diplomatic relations with Cuba for the first time in more than a half century.

in Trending, Viral Videos

TODAY’S MUST SEE: Fallon & Timberlake are awkward teens at camp

15-overlay6

The boys are back at summer camp and they can't stop singing "Jumper" by Third Eye Blind.

in National

Ebola fears speed changes in U.S. hospitals

ebola

By Susan Kelly CHICAGO (Reuters) – The worst Ebola outbreak on record, and its spread beyond West Africa, has accelerated…