News

Braves’ Heyward hit by pitch, breaks jaw

Braves’ Heyward hit by pitch, breaks jaw

Braves outfielder Jason Heyward is expected to be sidelined for at least four weeks. Photo: Reuters

(Reuters) – Atlanta Braves outfielder Jason Heyward is expected to be sidelined for at least four weeks with a broken jaw after being hit by a pitch from Mets starter Jon Niese in New York on Wednesday.

With two outs in the sixth inning, former All-Star Heyward was struck by a 90 mph fastball and immediately fell to the ground amid groans from the crowd.

Head trainer Jeff Porter and Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez ran out to attend to Heyward, who was then seen by Mets doctors before being taken to a Manhattan hospital to have X-rays and further tests.

Two fractures were revealed in his jaw and Howard has been told he could miss the rest of the regular season as he will need between four and six weeks to recover.

“It was tough,” Niese told reporters after the Braves beat the Mets 4-1 at Citi Field. “I wanted to elevate a fastball right there, and then it didn’t really slip out of my hands, but it kind of just ran in on him.

“Obviously no intent, but I just felt bad. It’s every pitcher and every hitter’s worst nightmare. I just hope he’s OK.”

Heyward, an All-Star in 2010, entered Wednesday’s game hitting .254 with 13 home runs and 37 RBIs in 94 games for Atlanta this season.

“He never lost consciousness,” Gonzalez said. “He was talking the whole time when he got hit with the ball.

“Before they took him to the hospital, he popped his head into the dugout and said ‘bye’ to some of the guys. I got a chance to talk to him briefly after that.”

Recent Headlines

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Local

Court documents: Suspect destroyed kidnap evidence.

WordPress-FeatureImage-07-28-14a

Courts documents say 34-year-old Nathaniel Kibby has been charged with kidnapping, imprisoning and sexually assaulting a teenage girl over nine months ordered his captive to lie to police and help him destroy evidence.

in National, World

From joy to outrage, Cuba-Americans greet new U.S. policy

obama

The U.S. will restore diplomatic relations with Cuba for the first time in more than a half century.

in Trending, Viral Videos

TODAY’S MUST SEE: Fallon & Timberlake are awkward teens at camp

15-overlay6

The boys are back at summer camp and they can't stop singing "Jumper" by Third Eye Blind.