Concord, NH- The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources has announced that the State Historical Resource Council has added three new properties to the State’s Register of Historical places.
The latest additions included, the Colonel Ebenezer Hinsdale House, in Hinsdale, “Sam’s House” located in Franconia and the Masonic Hall in Freedom.
The Colonel Ebenezer Hinsdale House, in Hinsdale, was built 20 rods from the original Fort Hinsdale in 1759; timbers from the fort were used in the construction of the ell off the kitchen. The location of the house, its outbuildings, gardens, landscaping and setting remain much as they have been for several generations.
While, “Sam’s House” located in Franconia is a simple single-room dwelling built by Sam Eli, an immigrant who worked as a logger throughout the mid-20th century. Despite the building lacking any significant architectural features it does however provide a physical representation of the lives led by loggers and woodsmen during a time that is considered historically important.
Built in 1830 as a Church, the Masonic Hall located in Freedom was purchased by the local Masonic Temple in 1926 following after the congregation located a new home, leaving a the members of Masonic Temple with a two-story space that featured a community gathering space and kitchen on the first floor and a meeting hall on the second floor. Since being taken over in 1926 the building continues to act as a central part of community life.
In effort to promote the significance of many historic properties across New Hampshire. Benefits of being listed on the State Register included but are not limited to special consideration and relief from some building codes and regulations; Designation of a property as historical, which is a pre-qualification for many grant programs, including Conservation License Plate grants and New Hampshire Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP) grants; and Acknowledgment of a property’s historical significance in the community.